Lift, Inc.

Lift, Inc. (http://www.lift-inc.org) is a national nonprofit corporation that hires, trains and places people with significant physical disabilities in high-level information technology jobs, such as programming and systems analysis. Other professional jobs are available. People are placed with one of Lift's corporate clients in yearlong contract positions. Lift is the employer for that time. At the end of the contract period, clients are invited to hire individuals full time, and they do so.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Washington, D.C., United States

Saturday, December 02, 2006

Thoughts about Recruiting

I had some experience a few years back with interviewing college students who have disabilities. This was fun, and I got to meet many motivated young men and women with a variety of skills and talents. Almost all were very confident (if they weren't, they hid it extremely well). I love helping people to succeed. It is so easy to become everyone's cheerleader, because you know the job hunt is so challenging. However, this has to be tempered with a hard look at what the individual offers the organization.

Here are a few things I remember from my brief time as a recruiter:

1) Most of the students were active in social clubs and an outside job in addition to their classes, which demonstrated diverse, positive interests and an ability to multitask.

2) The students had definite career goals. They were prepared and professional. They gave focused answers. I had to eliminate those few who were not.

3) Quite a few of the individuals filled out application forms in handwriting or printing, when typewritten is the norm. I told everyone this. One person so impressed me that I requested that he type the form. We talked about it at length. He did so, and sent me a very nice thank you letter with the application. And yes-I cheered when he found a job.

4) One individual requested a specific type of chair well before the interview. Because of the nature of the person's disability, that chair would help with balance. Arriving at the interview room, we found the chair was not there. People need to be comfortable, so together we found one. Once the matter was settled, we finished up a great interview.

5) Several applicants were deaf or hard of hearing. Communication was no problem. For the person who could lip-read, I made sure I spoke clearly, naturally and directly, at proper volume and without putting my hand over my mouth. Occasionally we wrote things down.

For the person who used a sign language interpreter, I faced the applicant and the interpreter across the table. The applicant and I chatted very naturally about his field, accomplishments and career path. I did not talk with the interpreter at all during the interview, which is the proper approach.

6) I also interviewed someone with severe cerebral palsy who was assisted by a family member. The applicant was a 4.0 GPA math major-a senior-who loved Web design and showed much enthusiasm for it. This person had no work experience because of many mobility and speech challenges. During the interview my boss encouraged investigating augmentative communication to facilitate conversation with others. This individual eventually found opportunities and a way to develop skills more. Creativity is helpful all around-both for the applicant to develop work experiences and for employers to find a fit for the person. There's more than one way to look at things.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home